Friday, July 20, 2018

I'm gonna dO A THING WITH SNIPPETS

 Heyo guys! It's me again! Of course it is... this is... my blog... but that's ASIDE THE POINT! So I was reading some of Andrea's old blog posts, like the creeper I am (guys check her out I swear you will not regret it she is just the best writer EVER) and I saw that she did a thing where she just kind of.... threw some snippets out there. And I knew I'd done something like this before. So I was like, this. This is the thing that is happening today. So HERE WE ARE. I'm just going to THROW SOME SNIPPETS OF MY WIP AT YOU AND CALL IT A POST. This is the quality content you followed my blog for.

***

When she regained her ability to form a cohesive thought, her first one slammed into her
with so much force she thought she might fall over.
“Granny!” she cried.
The guy’s features melted into confusion.
“I know you’re probably experiencing some shock, but I’m not your grandmother. I’m not
even a woman actually.” he said with a slight chuckle. Then he became serious. “Now do
you want to tell me who I just killed?”
“All you need to know is that she would’ve killed me if you hadn’t killed her.” Red said.
“Ok, but why did you think I was your Granny?” he asked.
Red glared at him.
“No you idiot, I obviously didn’t think you were Granny! That Wolf-I mean, person-was
disguised as Granny, so I need to find her!” She told him.
“In all honesty, if she” he gestured to the Wolf’s body “was going to kill you, then your
Granny is probably dead.”

Can I just say that I love Hunter. Like so much. That level of just... instinctual sass is what I live for. 

***

Red looked at Hunter, his mouth was open but no sound was coming out.
“Are you just going to sit there looking stupid?” she asked him.

Red's sass too. Honestly, it's just like if your in my book, you have unchartable levels of snark.

***

Granny and Hunter stopped talking when Red entered the room.
“No please, don’t stop on my behalf.” she said dryly.
“I was just telling her about how I saved you.” Hunter said.
“I hope you know that had you not shown up I could’ve taken her.” Red said.
“Sure you could’ve,” Hunter started sarcastically. “Just like I could win a Little Miss Perfect
beauty pageant if I entered.”

Honestly, Hunter COULD win a Little Miss Perfect beauty pageant if he entered.

***

She looked at him and saw that he had his axe strapped on his back.
If he was hunting like he said he was why would he have an axe? You don’t hunt with
an axe. She thought.
But before she could ask him about it he spoke.
“Am I really so beautiful that you have to stare at me?” he asked.
“Excuse me? I was not staring at you, I was noting the fact that you have your axe
strapped on your back.” she protested.
“Mmhmm.” he said, unconvinced.

Just IGNORE the fact that he has an ax. Definitely NOT a hit-man. DEFINITELY NOT! Shshshshsh.

***

How was she going to tell him to Screw off without giving to much away?

This one needs no explanation. It's just a very good summary of Red's character.

***

Hunter swung his arm around Red.
“Why thank you, but no. Red didn’t know who I am when she brought me here.” he said.
All that was running through Red’s mind was Red alert! Red alert! Personal space has
been breached!”
She saw the expression’s on the other’s faces morph from astonishment to a look that
clearly said You have just signed your own death warrant.
“Remove your arm now.” Red growled.
But either Hunter didn’t hear or he just didn’t care.
She saw Goldy’s expression turn to pity. She had been in this situation as well, and knew
what awaited Hunter.
Red grabbed his arm and twisted it, while at the same time leaning forward.
Hunter landed on the hardwood floor on his back with the wind knocked out of his lungs.
She could hear him struggling for breath.
She knelt down next to him and leaned her mouth to his ear.
“The next time you touch me, you will wind up with a missing hand.” she said in a soft but
powerful voice.
Does Red have issues? Yes, yes she does.

***
Muffy went back to talking about Jack.
“Look at him over there, laughing, with his beautiful eyes, and perfect nose. He’s
disgustingly obnoxious.” she scoffed.

Oh Muffy, you just NEVER had a chance.

***

You? But you can’t be a gang leader! You’re a-” he seemed to notice the other’s looking
at him in warning.
Red’s eyes narrowed.
“I’m a what?” she asked.
“Well, I mean, you’re a-”
Goldy cut him off.
“I wouldn’t.” she said in a low voice.
“No, no, Goldy. Let him say what he wants to say.” Red replied.
“You’re a girl.” Hunter finally said.
Red smiled. Of course. Of course. Typical guy. Typical sexist pig.
She rose from her chair and stood in front of Hunter.
“I can’t be a gang leader because I’m a girl?” she asked.
Hunter nodded, but he looked less sure now.
She grabbed the front of his shirt, it was soft, like unnaturally soft. She pulled him to his
feet. And even though he was taller than her by about a foot she didn’t waver.
“Well at least now we know you can tell gender. Yeah, of course I’m a girl, but why the
hell would that mean that I can’t be a gang leader? Do you know what this girl knows
how to do? She knows how to kill you ten different ways with just the things in this room
and her bare hands. And the next time you decide to question her leadership again
because of her gender she won’t hesitate to end you. Do I make myself clear?” she
growled.

And here we have Red being a freaking AMAZING feminist. Also, yes, she's a gang leader. FiTe Me.

***

“I don’t know? Why in the world would an assassin pose as my Grandmother and try to
attack me?” she asked sarcastically.
“I’m being serious, why would one of Queen Callista’s killers attack you?” he asked.
Red just stared at him.
“You’re slow, right? You’re not all there? That’s the only reason you could possibly be this
dense. Did you miss the words assassin and killer?” she asked.
“Wait, your Mom is trying to kill you?” he asked in surprise.
Obviously!” Red yelled. “You know what? I can’t with him. Someone else explain. Goldy,
you do it.” she said, standing up to get a drink.

Again, amazing Red being amazing. Also a little bit more than a little rude.

***

“What happens if he’s discovered?”
“He’ll most likely die.” Muffy informed her.
“You think he’ll agree to this?” Red asked her.
“I think he has to. You’re the leader, are you not? He’s joined the gang, if he doesn’t listen or
goes rouge you have the ability to kill him without any of us interfering.” she said.
“Wow. Ok. So he either has to do a job that forces him to risk his life or he dies because he
won’t listen to me? That seems kind of harsh.” Red replied.
“You did tell him that if he questioned your leadership you would kill him.” Jack said.
“I said if he questioned my leadership because of my gender I would kill him because he was
being chauvinistic. But if he questions me because he doesn’t want to die, I can kind of
understand why.” she explained.
“Well then tell him it’s a challenge to see if he’s dedicated enough, men can’t back away from
a challenge.” Jack said.
“As if you would know anything about men.” Muffy mumbled under her breath.

This is just my characters arguing about which way Hunter should die. My book is just fabulous and so lighthearted.

***

She stepped off onto a side path and turned to face Hunter.
“Where are you going?” Hunter asked.
“The servants entrance.” she stated simply.
“Why?” he asked.
“Because technically, I never left my room today.” she said with a smirk.

I don't even know anymore.

***


Those were some snippets of my WIP. Let me know if you want me to give you more snippets because I had a lot of fun picking which ones to show you guys, and I have A LOT more where they came from (plus I need your validation but we don't need to talk about that).

Bye Sincerely
Dani Jones

2 comments:

  1. Oh my God I loved these so much?! THE LEVELS OF SASS. I'M DYING. Can I just say I'm already in love with all your characters?? Red is so badass, I LOVE HER. These snippets honestly made my day XD

    And awww Dani YOU ARE THE SWEETEST. I'm glad my posts inspired you to write this post! Snippets posts are literally the best to write when you don't have any other ideas, all you have to do is come up with an intro, an outro, copy and paste snippets off your WIP and run. Plus people generally like them, so that's a bonus...

    Anyway, I really liked this post! I'd love to read more snippets someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT! I tried so fricken hard to just sass my way through my WIP.

      Your posts are amazing! And I said that every Friday I'd do a book/writing related thing so it really just worked.

      Thank you! I will probably post more snippets one day! :)
      -Dani Jones

      Delete

So... it looks like you're going to comment. Thanks for that. Your comments make my day. :)
-Dani Jones